Friday, February 3, 2012

Elliot's Birth Story

Elliot Theodore Blake Holleran was born January 29th at 3:34 am. He weighs 7 pounds 9 ounces and is 19 inches long. Ted and I could not be any happier. Elliot and I are both healthy after a long and unsuccessful induction!

I arrived at the hospital 7:30am Friday January 27th to begin my induction, at which point I was already 10 days past my due date . Going in i had high hopes that the induction would be successful, I suspected that it would be long since I had not begun to dilate in time, but successful.

Shortly after arriving my doctor gave me a dose of cytotec to help soften my cervix and begin contractions. The medication did not work very quickly fir me it was boy until the middle of the night on the 27th that I began to have regular and painful contractions. Since I figured the labor would be quite bait longer I really wanted a good nights sleep do I asked the nurse for phentanol so I could sleep.

The phentanol helped a lot and I was able to get about three hours of sleep. But to my disappointment I woke up and my contractions had stopped and I had only dilated to two centimeters in about 24 hours.

After another dose of cytotec my cervix had finally dilated enough that the doctors were able to begin pitocin to really get my labor started. That stuff really works, within afew hours I had dilated another centimeter and was having regular contractions. It was not long before I was begging for the epidural, which I received about 8 pm on the 28th.

The epidural allowed me to sleep for a few hours because I really hoped the induction round still take because getting a c section was my worst fear and I wanted to avoid if at all possible. By 1 am Ted was asleep and my mom had gone to the hotel to sleep, when the nurse checked me and I had failed to make any more progress.

Elliot was no longer tolerating the pitocin and his heart rate began to drop. Around 2am my doctor decided that a c section was the best idea and the safest way for both me and Elliot. Inimmediatly freaked out and just started balling because I was so scared. But I also knew I had to do it because it was the only way I would get to meet my son

Ted called my mom and his mom who both rushed over to the hospital. They prepped me for surgery and both Ted and my mom were able to be in the operating room with me.

The whole surgery was a big blur to me because I was under so much medication. I remember it went quickly and it wasnt long before I was in the recovery room holding my son.

Although my birth was pretty much nothing like I imagined it but both my son and I are healthy and happy! Elliot is more fun everyday and I am loving being a mother. My husband is such a wonderful father it makes me a little teary eyed when I see him holding Elliot! Life could not be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment