Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Sleep, or lack there of

I am finding it increasingly difficult to find time to post now that I have a newborn in the house. Even though he spends a good chunk of his time sleeping some how I feel busy all the time. I feel like the little man is constantly attached to my boob eating (meaning I get lots of TV time in) and when he isn't I am snuggling with him to keep him from crying or I am making a mad dash around the house to straighten up while he sleeps. Every day I keep saying I will get out to run errands but when the little dude is wanting to eat every 2 hours it makes it kind of hard to get out and about for any worthwhile amount of time.

We have been incredibly fortunate that our little man is such a good sleeper. During the day he will only sleep for about 1 hour or so between feedings, then he loves to have snuggle time with mommy and daddy. He also just loves to stare at his mobile above his crib! At night he usually gives me about a 5 hour stretch of straight sleep!!! I never thought I would be a person who gets excited about 5 hours of sleep but trust me with a new born 5 hours is magical.

Every day I am starting to enjoy motherhood a little bit more. For the first few weeks I was really struggling with the baby blues which just made me into a basket case. I was constantly crying about something and I  didn't feel like  myself. The last 4 or 5 days though I have really started to feel like myself again and I have just fallen in love with being a mother. Nothing makes me happier than holding my baby, other than maybe seeing my husband snuggled up with the baby!

Every one tells you how hard becoming a parent is with the lack of sleep and the constant demands and they are right. I noticed while I was pregnant and even now that very few people tell you about the pure joy of becoming a parent, most people focused on the negative aspects of parenthood.But I have never been more happy in my life than when I am at home with my husband and my son, I am adjusting to the sleep deprivation, and I have realized that I will never have a more important job than being a wife to my husband and a mother to my son.

1 comment: