Monday, August 1, 2011

Loving Pregnancy?

Any one who knows me is aware that I never really looked forward to being pregnant, I have always been more excited about the end result of having a child more so than actually being pregnant. Which is probably why it took me several years to come to the decision to give birth to my first child rather than adoption. My pregnancy experience has thus far brought me to the decision that any children Ted and I have after this one will be adopted.  So far for me pregnancy has just been a bunch of restrictions on my regular life and a game of giving up things I love, mixed with quite a bit of nausea.

I am no longer able to carry heavy objects or move furniture, which makes rearranging and organizing for the baby difficult when my husband works 6 to 7 days a week and can't always help me when I want him to. Moving furniture is never something I cared for but the fact that I can't do it now is rather frustrating. I can't eat a lot of the foods I love including sandwiches which are my favorite food of all time, and I am not talking a toasted panini, but a nice sandwich with cold lunch meat and all the delicious crispy veggies, which while pregnant is a big no no due to the risk of listeria in the cold lunch meat. I love soft cheeses like brie and goat cheese but again those are off limits. And I miss being able to have a glass of wine with friends or a bloody mary when out to breakfast, and trust me the non-alcoholic versions are not worth it.


Don't get me wrong here I am looking forward to being a mother more than anything, I can't put into words how much I already love my child and can't wait to meet him/her. But I always hear stories of how people loved being pregnant and they miss it as soon as they pop the baby out, well lets just say I will not be one of those women. Maybe everything will change in a couple of weeks once I feel my little baby wiggle inside of me, but right now I just feel like a more tired, moody and deprived version of myself.

4 comments:

  1. the best thing about adopting is that you can drink beginning to end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. one thing i liked about being pregnant was using you as a little table. after you were born i had nowhere to set my lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh, i amlooking forward to having my own private table for one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol @ grim!
    honey I know it's hard! But you will feel something different when that babe starts announcing its presence by moving around. I know you don't like all the *restrictions* but it's just a way of preparing you for all the other sacrifices motherhood brings. hang in there sweets.

    ReplyDelete